New song of the Rif

Gestart door argaz, 08/10/2010 om 13:22:14

argaz

A true renaissance of Mazigh culture began in the 1960’s and one of the elements of this renaissance was the birth of the
“New song of the Rif” in 1969.

My friend Buy and I had learned to play the guitar as high school students in Melilla. When we went to Madrid in 1969 to study at the Complutense University we got together to play our guitars, and reminisce about the Rif. I composed some songs and asked “Buy” - Moh Buyefruri (1) - to play them with me. We launched what became a new Rifian musical style. Karim Chemlal (2) and Ben Haddu (3) joined our group by supporting and introducing us to the student community at the Complutense. Our recitals were well accepted by the Spanish students, although our Mazigh friends were not sure what to make of our new musical style with Mazigh lyrics. It took them awhile to understand the significance of this revolutionary musical movement.

At the invitation of the RTM (Moroccan Radio and Television) in 1972, I  recorded an album with the help of my talented brother Abdelaziz (4) who contributed  rhythmic guitar, backup vocals, and tambourine for this recording, while I played acoustic guitar, lead vocals, and harmonica.  Hassan Talbi (5) supported and supervised the recording  of the album which included the songs “Thammorth inu” (My Land), “Gambri” (Guitar), and “Yemma” (Mother) which all  became immediate hits. The album was later sold in music  cassette format under the title “Aghennij Inu” (My Song).

>> http://toufali.net/2010/09/20/12/